I wanted it to fit inside a normal card blank, so I cut 15 pieces of paper to fit inside with a lip to stick them all together. I sprayed a load of white copy paper with water and covered it with tea dye distress stain, allowed to dry and then printed the content on to it. It took some time to make sure the printing was spaced properly - thank god for my technology whizz husband! I then cut each month out with a ticket shape die and ran a black inkpad around the edges. Then I decorated each month with loads of different things - stamps, embossing, die cuts, paper piecing, shop bought embellishments etc.
Once I was happy with my inserts, I stuck them all together on the 'lip' bits with double sided tape. It was pretty chunky, but still fit well inside the card blank.
I then decorated the front of my card blank as below. I stuck the lip of the inserts to the back of the card blank so that you open up the front and pull each page forward (sort of like an easel card) and then used a glue gun to cover the lip and the whole of the back with a corrugated black card so that it holds together nicely. It felt a bit more solid to flick through once the back was on! I also put a brad on the front and stuck a bit of thread under the black card to fasten it together.
One of the reasons for sending the English stuff is to show him the sort of thing we've been doing - what we've been enjoying this year. I figured that as I couldn't find anything to send him, I'd make him a mini scrapbook instead, with a bit of info about all the things that have happened this year.
It took some time to make, but i'm really pleased with how it turned out! I've put it in the post today - so a very late Christmas present, but never mind! It has inspired me to make calendars for all my family for Chrismas next year... a big project as there are plenty of them! But if I start now, I'm sure I can make 10 or 15 desk calendars at least by Christmas. It also solves my problem of making tonnes of cards and running out of people to send them to!
I'm entering this for the Wild Orchid challenge - Anything Goes.